Thursday 29 March 2012

DIY Project #1- Toilet Pixel Character

This very idea came from Beru Betto's DIY Toilet Roll Pixel Boy [Link]. It's a great way encouraging the younger generation to reuse toilet rolls other than throwing them into the recycling bins, which can be a hassle. Here I have attempted my own pixel character of myself to show you how easy and fun it can be without spending much money for an art piece in the bedroom or living room.

Checklist: ● toilet rolls
                  ● paint tubes
                  ● paint brushes
                  ● newspapers (to prevent stains on floor or table)
                  ● pot of water
                  ● paint palette (anything from cheap party plates to scraps of cardboard
                  ● a form of reference (a print out or screen image)
          

The reference I have of myself to start off.

1.Instead of using two toilet rolls to make up two pixels, I've decided to half the rolls so one roll equals to two pixel blocks (2); 3. Half each roll carefully as it'd be unfortunate and have one half shorter than the other side, vice versa; 4. A demonstration as to how I would link each roll together, stapling near the edge to not show the staples.

Here are the supplies: 1. Paint tubes basic colours as mixing them would produce secondary colours etc; 2. A suitable paint brush, preferably wide to cover a wide surface area and scrap cardboard to use as paint palette, making use of boxes that are lying around in need or recycling or reuse; 3. A small pot of water, this was an ice cream cup that I no longer used.

1. No need for a big dollop to spread along the roll; 2. Dip the brush and paint into the water lightly, moistening the brush allowing it to spread more (3); 4. If need to you could add more paint if areas aren't covered completely.

1. the Result of painting half a tube with as little paint I could manage; 2+3. One dollop of paint can cover this amount if use sparingly.


The finished piece: consisting of 79 halved rolls.

1. Close up shot of my 'face'; 3. Messy...just throw away the scrap cardboard as it has served it's purpose being this project's paint palette.

In total I have not paid extra due to already owning paint tubes from my own stash and saving up on toilet rolls. This project has been successful.

DIY Project #1 Completed

2 comments:

  1. such a good dye *-* find your blog very interesting and cute <3

    love
    beauthi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much ^^ I'm still new to blogging and hope to continue posting up interesting DIY project I come across in future :D

      Amz

      Delete