Monday 20 August 2012

DIY Project #3 - Chalkboard Mugs

Generally I wouldn't use this for drinking instead I would personally use this as a stationery holder and I will explain further into this post.

Checklist: ● porcelain mugs
                  ● a small pot of water to clean the brush
                  ● chalkboard paint (I bought DecoArt Americana's chalkboard paint)
                  ● chalk
                  ● masking tape to mask off areas you do not wish to paint
                  ● paintbrush
                  ● scrap cardboard or paper to place the brush whilst waiting

Tip/warning/advice: please read the instructions on the chalkboard paint as not all of them are for porcelain and mostly for chalkboard purposes. This is important as it will affect your end product if it does not require you to bake at all.




1: taping off the area you do not wish to paint onto this would create a neat finish without me carefully predicting where it's straight; 3: my chalkboard paint advises me to paint horizontally then wait to dry then paint vertically (2). This is a continuous process until you get this opaque tone of black that you're happy with (4); 5: I found that whilst the paint was still wet it was convenient to peel off the tape to avoid cracking. Carefully rub off the uneven border with a tissue dabbed in water to give it a clean look


After 24 hours (as my paint has instructed) condition with chalk then wipe off. However if you were to use this for drinking purposes and the chalkboard paint does not imply any form of baking methods...


this would happen if in contact with water...wasted my time but now I know using this paint was not ideal for this purpose.

Of course having to reapply the chalkboard paint I have decided to use it only to hold my stationery. Just dry wipe the chalk off the mug and it is ready to be drawn onto. This can be ideal for gifts whether a message is already on there or not is entirely up to you or for pen pot ideas. You can even cover the whole mug with the paint just remembering what the product specifies for what needs.

My receipt for this project:
____________________________
White porcelain mug----- £1.00
White porcelain mug----- £1.00
Bucket of chalks----------£1.49
Chalkboard paint--------- £1.99
Total                                 £5.48


I did not have a specific budget as to how much I would spend extra for this project but it was under £10 which is a positive thing for me. If you already have porcelain mugs that needs to be more attractive to the eye yet be used to drink with, it would be better to purchase a chalkboard paint specifically for porcelain preferably Pebeo's chalkboard paint [Link] and follow the rules given.

For someone like myself who likes labeling with sticky tabs this technique would make it easier for me to find on my table knowing which mug contains pens and pencils to scalpels and rulers or that's just me. The possibility is endless with being creative for this project and I'm quite happy with what I've achieved out of this.

DIY Project #3 Completed

3 comments:

  1. Hey, I really adore the background on this site. It fits the theme to perfection! <3

    xo-Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you :D. The logo will be shrunk so it will be multiple copies all over the background bwhahaha xD <3

      Amz x

      Delete
  2. Too TOO cute!!! Thank you for sharing :D

    ReplyDelete